There is no more contentious issue in this country right now than Health Reform. Now, whether you’re a fan or not, at this point we really will just have to wait and see how it works out.
That said, I honestly believe that there is a bigger issue here, and that is the need to reverse this countrys downward spiral of ill health and rising costs.
Looking through the health reform legislation, and believe me I skipped 99.9% of it just focusing on the pieces that will impact employee health and wellness, this is what I get…
Thankfully, there is a general change of direction from reactive health care, to prevention and education.
This is the single most important factor in this Health Care Reform Bill. Because all the research out there tells us that unless we start moving toward a healthier lifestyle, this country is destined for more health, and subsequently, financial problems than we can handle.
Let’s break it down into layman’s terms how the new legislation can help with employee health and wellness programs,
- Grants to pay a portion of the cost of comprehensive workplace health promotion programs for small businesses.
- The option for employers to offer employees a discount on their premium of up to 30% for engagement in health promotion programs.
- More Research into health promotion and best practices.
- The development of a National Health Promotion Plan.
- Regular periodic surveys on workplace health program prevalence and components.
- Technical assistance to enhance evaluation of workplace health promotion programs.
What do you think? Is this is a good start toward making employee wellness programs more afforable and effective?