By Javed Majeed
Bringing jointly life-writing, travel-writing and postcolonial reports, this ebook argues that techniques of commute have been the most important to the best way Gandhi, Nehru and Iqbal articulated selfhood of their life-writing. It indicates how their 'travelling autobiographies' differed from past traditions of nineteenth-century Indian and colonial commute writing. in contrast to different autobiographies of the time via Indians during which the state absorbed the person, rethinking rules of commute enabled them to precise their principles of selfhood outdoor overarching notions of country or nationhood. constructing this line of enquiry into the binds among the self, go back and forth and anti-colonial lifewriting, Majeed examines Gandhi's level fright and shyness as a part of a bigger gender politics, and discusses the politics of translation and truthfulness in his interpreting of the Gita. The stylistic units utilized by Nehru in his writings to awaken his targeted experience of self with regards to go back and forth are explored as a part of his resistance to slender nationwide identities, and Iqbal's poetry is reinterpreted as a sort of vacationing autobiography which reconceives Islam in terms of Western modernity.
Read Online or Download Autobiography, Travel and Postnational Identity: Gandhi, Nehru and Iqbal PDF
Similar travel books
A roller-coaster urban of 7 hills, topped via a Moorish citadel and washed in an artist's natural gentle, Lisbon is cinematically appealing and traditionally compelling. this can be a capital urban of massive skies and larger vistas; of rumbling trams and Willy Wonka like elevators; of melancholic fado music and live-to-party nightlife.
Iceland hasn't ever been so sizzling. permit The tough consultant to Iceland exhibit you some of the best this unspoilt kingdom has to provide: from the get together capital, Reykjavík, with its white nights and northerly lighting fixtures, to the sizeable glaciers of the uninhabited inside. Come eye to eye with the giants of the ocean on a whale staring at travel or take a dip within the geothermal waters of the Blue Lagoon - Iceland is Europe's most unique vacation spot.
Lonely Planet Prague & the Czech Republic is your passport to the entire so much suitable and updated recommendation on what to work out, what to bypass, and what hidden discoveries wait for you. Strut to stay jazz song around the Charles Bridge, experience Prague Castle's baroque architectural styling, or flavor scrumptious locally-crafted ales at a pleasant local pub; all together with your relied on go back and forth spouse.
The George Washington Bridge: Poetry in metal is a well-rounded tribute to a countrywide landmark. the writer weaves jointly background, pop culture, behind-the-scene excursions, and private perception in his dwelling portrait of a latest surprise.
- New Zealand (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
- Condé Nast Traveller [UK] (September 2015)
- Going to Live in Greece (How to)
- Doctors Without Borders in Ethiopia: Among the Afar
- Romantic Weekends in and Around New York
- Great American Craft Beer: A Guide to the Nation's Finest Beers and Breweries
Extra info for Autobiography, Travel and Postnational Identity: Gandhi, Nehru and Iqbal
34. Alexander, Shigurf Namah, p. 6, p. 9. 35. Alexander, Shigurf Namah, p. 5. 36. a¯ m ud d¯ın, OIOC ms. Or. 200; pp. 2. All translations from the Persian manuscript are my own. 37. Alexander, Shigurf Namah, pp. 217–20. 38. Mirza I’tisam uddin, Shigurf N¯ama, pp. 2. 39. iyat mulk amr¯ıka’ (the features of America) in Mirza I’tisam uddin, Shigurf N¯ama, pp. 2, and pp. 1 respectively. 40. I have taken the term ‘planetary consciousness’ from Pratt, p. 5. 41. Charles Stewart, Travels of Mirza Abu Taleb Khan in Asia, Africa, and Europe, during the years 1799, 1800, 1801, and 1803.
62. A. Bayly, Indian Society and the Making of the British Empire (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1988), pp. 142–3; Eugene Irschick, Dialogue and History: Constructing South India, 1795–1895 (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1994), p. 81, p. 83, p. 93, p. 97, on the entire project to mould a new civic order in which individuals were securely embedded within sedentary society as useful and productive citizens. On how the British campaign against thagi reflected this concern to control peripatetic groups in Indian society, see Radhika Singha, ‘“Providential” Circumstances: The Thuggee Campaign of the 1830s and Legal Innovation’, Modern Asian Studies, 27, 1 (1993), pp.
97, on the entire project to mould a new civic order in which individuals were securely embedded within sedentary society as useful and productive citizens. On how the British campaign against thagi reflected this concern to control peripatetic groups in Indian society, see Radhika Singha, ‘“Providential” Circumstances: The Thuggee Campaign of the 1830s and Legal Innovation’, Modern Asian Studies, 27, 1 (1993), pp. 83–146. 63. Burton, p. 39, p. 40, pp. 42–50. 64. , p. 44. 65.
Autobiography, Travel and Postnational Identity: Gandhi, Nehru and Iqbal by Javed Majeed